Richard Carroll




William/Wilhelm BAER

    born: Feb. 9, 1808, in Geislar, Germany [Son of  Johann & Anna Maria [HEUMANNS] BAER/BAR]

          #1-marr: before 1844 -  unknown [Germany]

                sp.#1 - Anna Theresia PRINZ,

                                   born: unknown [Germany]

                                   died: June 11, 1842, in Kleinbullsheim, Germany [source: William's second marriage record]

#2-marr: Mar. 16, 1844 in Kleinbullesheim, Germany [source: copy of wedding cert.]

     sp.#2 - Anna Sophia SCHNEIDER,

                  born: abt.1823 in Odendorf, Germany;

                    dau.of Peter & Anna Maria[PICK]SCHNEIDER;

                  died: June 7, 1897, in Beaver Dam, WI.


Carolyn:  “Baer, Wilhelm and wife, Sophia [Schneider] both from two small villages in central Germany.  They came to the USA on the ship "Brutus," leaving the port of Havre de Grace, France and coming to New York City, July 02, 1845.  They traveled up to Washington Co. Wisc. and on over to Dodge Co. and settled on a farm near Beaver Dam.  This is where I first located their farm was on the 1850 and 1860 Federal Census, Wisconsin, Dodge Co.   Also, when my mother and I came up there to visit , we went into the Genealogical & Historical Society building down on main street of Beaver Dam.  They found the farm listed and they gave me a copy of the land deed.

Ole Nelson and wife Mary [Olson] married in Norway [1890] before they came to the USA.  The Family story is Ole Nelson came from Fredrickstaudt, Norway, and Mary Olson came from Oslo, Norway, or we may have turned the cities around, but Mother was very definite about these two cities in Norway. My Mother always told the story that her grandmother Mary Olson was a licensed doctor/midwife/nurse in Norway, and that she carried a Dr.'s black bag with her everywhere.  Also, when Mary and Ole Nelson came to Chicago, the officials did not recognize Mary's license in the U.S., and told her that she would have to take more training to be recognized as a Dr. or nurse?  Mary and Ole had 10 children in all, and all were born in Chicago, Ill.  Two or three of the Nelson children died as infants.

On the 1900 Federal Census of Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, Ward 27,
District 840:  [lines 51 - 57]
Line 51 -   Nelson, Ole,   Head, age, 34, born Oct. 1865 in Norway; marr:10
yrs., Immig. to US in 1886;  Lived in US -12 yrs.; Parents born in Norway;
Line 52 -   Nelson, Mary, Wife, age, 31, born May, 1861 in Norway; marr: 10
yrs. 5 children, 4 living;  Mary Immig. in 1882; Lived in US - 18 years; Both parents born in Norway;
Line 53 -   Nelson, Walter, Son, age, 8, born Oct. 1891 in Illinois;
Line 54 -   Nelson, Esther, Dau. age, 6, born Mar. 1894 in Illinois;
Line 55 -   Nelson, Ralph, Son, age 5, born May 1895 in Illinois;
Line 56 -   Nelson, Henry, Son, age 1, born May 1899 in Illinois;
Line 57 -   Olson, Henricha, Mother-in-law, 77 years, widow, born Oct. 1822,
in Norway; Had 9 children, 5 living. Mary's mother Henricha Olson immigrated from Norway in 1882 to Chicago, Cook County, Illinois.

Other Nelson Family information:  Four other children are listed on the 1910
Federal Census of Illinois, Cook Co.
                Nelson,  Helen, Dau. age 10;
                Nelson,  Louis, Son, age  6;
                Nelson,  Mary, Dau. age  4;
                Nelson,  Dorothea, Dau. age 2;
                Nelson,  a twin to Dorothea died at birth.

Ole Nelson died in 1907 in Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois.  He was a house painter by trade, and he sung at weddings and funerals and special occasions at his Methodist church.  They said he had a beautiful tenor voice.

Mary Nelson is listed in 1910, 1920, and 1930 Federal Census of Illinois, Cook Co., Chicago,   In the 1930 Federal Census, Mary Nelson is living in a Deaconess and Women's Home as an employee working as a cook in the Home. Mary Nelson  died years later in Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois.”


    Six Children by William & Sophia BAER:

        1.  Wilhelm "Henry" Baer

                b: Dec. 8, 1844, Kleinbullesheim, Germany [source: copy of birth record]

                m: abt. 1871, in Beaver Dam, Dodge Co.,WI.

                     Henry lived in Calamus, Dodge Co., Wisconsin; 1880 Fed. Census.

                d: Jan 28, 1907, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin; [source: Death certificate]

                buried: St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.   

                     sp:  Mary SPIEL, daughter of  Henry Spiel;

                            b: Oct. 17, 1850, Theresa, Dodge Co., Wisconsin.

                            d: Nov. 21, 1931, Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., WI [source: Dodge Co. death certificate, vol. 29, p.477]

        2.  Elizabeth BAER

                b: abt. 1846 in Wisconsin

                m: unk.  to George Dusch; Lived in LaSalle, Illinois in 1907.

                d:  bet. 1907 - 1925

        3.  William BAER

                b: Mar. 15, 1849, in Schleisingerville, now Slinger, Washington Co.,WI

                m: July 10, 1879, St. Peter's Catholic Church, Beaver Dam, Dodge Co.,WI [source: St. Peter's Catholic Church, page 252]

                    sp: Agnes SPIEL, dau. of  Henry Spiel

                        b: Dec. 10, 1853, Theresa, Dodge Co, WI

                        d: May 22, 1921, Beaver Dam, Dodge Co. [source: Dodge Co. death cert., Vol.21, page 547]

                         Lived in Chicago, Illinois in 1907.

                d: Dec. 28, 1925, at home of daughter, Mrs. Joseph Ptaschinski, Beaver Dam, WI [source: Dodge Co. death cert., Vol. 25, page 204]

                Buried: St. Peter's Catholic Cem., Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., WI.

        4.  Catherine BAER

                 b:  May 1, 1851, Schleisingerville, now Slinger, Washington Co., Wisconsin.

                 m: ___________18___; city, co. & state ________________

                     sp#1 -  John Hammer; b:___________18___;  city, co. & state________

                                 d: Feb. 16, 1927; city, co. & state_______________

                  m: _______________1886; city, co. & state ________________

                      sp#2 -  Julius Kaatz; b:_____________18___; city, co. & state_______

                                d: _____________ca. 1887; city, co. & state_______________

                        Catherine lived in Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., Wisconsin in 1907.

                  d:   Nov. 25, 1928, at home of son, Joseph Hammer, Beaver Dam, WI. [source: Dodge Co. death cert.Vol.27, p. 267]

                  Buried: St.Peter's Catholic Cem., Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., Wisconsin.       

        5.  Joseph BAER

                b:  _______abt 1855, in __________, _________Co.,WI.

                m:  May 2, 1881, in St. Peter's Catholic Church, Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., WI. [source: Vol. __, page 254, St. Peter's Catholic Church, Beaver Dam, WI]

                    sp:   Margaret HEUSCHMID,

                        dau. of Frank Joseph & Agatha [Muller] HEUSCHMID

                         b: ______________18___; city, co. & state____________

                         d: ___________________; Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois;

                         buried: St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.

                      Joseph lived in Chicago, Illinois in 1907 and 1925.

                  d:  Mar. 21, 1928, in Chicago, Illinois

                      Buried: St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.

        6.  John Peter BAER

             b:  April 3, 1857, in Theresa, Dodge Co., Wisconsin [source: baptism Nov. 5, 1857, St.Theresa's Catholic Church, Theresa, WI]

             m:  May 1, 1884, Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., WI [source: Wisconsin Vital Records,Vol.7, p.135, Dodge County, WI]

              sp:  Wilhelmina "Minnie" BEARDER, dau.Henry/Christine[LINN] BEARDER

                          b:  July 3, 1862, in Reeseville, Dodge Co., Wisconsin.

                          d:  Apr. 6, 1935, in San Angelo, Tom Green Co., TX

                               Buried:  Fairmont Cemetery, San Angelo, TX

             d:  Feb. 18, 1935, in San Angelo, Tom Green Co., TX 

                  Buried:  Fairmont Cemetery, San Angelo, Tom Green Co., TX 



            Wilhelmenia (Minnie) and John Peter Baer, May 1930                                            Wilhelmenia Baer on 14th St.


             John's and Minnie's four children:

                    1.  John William BAER 

                          b: Jan 7 1886; ______________city, co. state

                          m:  Apr. 1, 1905; Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois

                                  to:  Henrietta GUDAHUS [d: bef. 1977]

                                  John and Henrietta's two children:

                                         1.  Raymond BAER

                                         2.   Daughter

                           d:  Aug. 17, 1977; Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois

                                Buried:  ________________Chicago, Ill.                    

                    2.  George Hy BAER   

                            b: May 8, 1888; ________________city, co. state

                            d:  June 30, 1896; Chicago, Ill., died of Diptheria

                                Buried:  ________________Chicago, Ill.

                    3.  Edward Lester BAER   

                            b: Jan. 6, 1895; Chicago, Ill.

                            m:  Dec. 24, 1913 in Chicago, Ill.

                                to:  Esther Angeline NELSON

                                        b: Mar. 17, 1894 in Chicago, Ill.

                                        d:  1926 in Chicago, Ill.

                             d:  _________1922, of TB; San Angelo, Tom Green Co.,TX

                              b: Fairmont Cemetery, San Angelo, Tom Green Co.,TX


Carylon:  “Edward Lester Baer, Sr. died of TB in San Angelo, TX in 1922.  Edward was our great-grandfather, born 1895/96? in Chicago.  Edward Lester Baer, Sr. married Esther A. Nelson, in Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois.  A sister, Mildred Genevieve [Baer] Koelle, died of TB in 1927 in San Angelo, Tx.  She was married to Henry Koelle, and they had a young son, Kenneth Sheridan Koelle, about 6 or 7 years of age at his mother's death.  Mildred [Baer] Koelle was buried in Chicago.  Her son, Kenneth was born about 1920, and he grew up to be a Chicago fireman.  He died of a massive heart attack one year after he retired from the Fire Dept. in about 1976.  The father Henry Koelle was a butcher, and at one time, he owned a couple of meat markets. 


Esther [Nelson] Baer died in 1926 in Chicago, Cook Co., Ill.  She is buried in a German cemetery, [Weildhin or something close]  I have it written down.   When Mother and I wrote to them about a cem. marker, they said no one had put one up in all those years, and that probably another grave was put on top hers.....we did not inquire more, as we did not have the money to put up a marker. Esther Angeline Nelson was born to Ole Nelson and Mary [Olson] Nelson in Cook County, Illinois, in  abt.1893-96.  Esther's parents were born in Norway, one of them in Oslo, Norway and the other one from Fredrickstadt, Norway.   I seem to remember that they came over from Norway in the 1890's, but I never found them on a ship.  You would not believe how many Ole and Mary Nelson names are on the ship registers.......very common names for the Norwegians.   I do have Ole and Mary's wedding photo.  It is a beautiful photo of them both.  Ole Nelson was a house painter, and he was a member of the Methodist Church in Chicago, Illinois.  He had a beautiful tenor voice and he sung for weddings and funerals and probably other occasions for the church.  They said he made a cyclinder record one time, but no one knew what happened to it....probably broken over the long years.  


I have thought if  we could contact a genealogy researcher in the area where they lived in Chicago, near a Methodist Church [they had to walk or ride a trolley to attend], that maybe the church would have some type of record of membership or baptism of some of their children.  Ole Nelson died in 1907 in Chicago.  I never have gotten a death record of Ole or Mary Nelson, but I know she lived a lot longer than he did.   A newspaper would have the Obit. on them, if we could get someone to look it up......


Mother [LaVerne Carroll] always told us the story that Mary [Olson] Nelson was a licensed doctor in Norway, but when she came to the USA, they would not recognize her medical training.   But, she did do some nursing and midwife duties.  Mother said she carried a black medical bag.


I do not remember how  Ole and Mary met or where they met, but I have the Nelson Family listed on a Census in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, with most of the children and also the mother of Mary [Olson] Nelson......I think her name was Mary/Anne [Anderson] Olson......and she did immigrate from Norway, probably with her children.  Her husband, _______, Olson was never mentioned as I remember, neither type of work he did.  One thought:  The Mother: Mary/Anne Olson was up in years, so might have been a widow before coming to USA?  I was told Ole Nelson and Mary Olson married just before they came to the USA in the early 1890's.  I  think Mary's mother, is on one of the Cook County, Chicago Ill. census, and as I remember, she was living in a Missionary Retirement Home, as a cook or maid, I think.


About summer of 1982, Aunt Dorothy [Nelson] Hansen, came to visit us in San Angelo, and I tried to record all the Nelson Family Tree info on a cassette tape player. Aunt Dorothy was the younger sister of Esther A. [Nelson] Baer and there were several older brothers.”


                           Edward's and Esther's four children:

                                    1.  LaVerne Mildred BAER

                                            b: Aug. 30, 1914, Chicago, Ill.

                                            m: Mar. 6, 1936, San Angelo, TX,

                                                to:  Newell William CARROLL

                                                        b:  Sept. 10, 1909, Haskell Co., TX

                                                        d:  Dec. 27, 1995, San Angelo, TX

                                                        Buried: Lawnhaven Cemetery, San Angelo,TX

                                                    LaVerne CARROLL living in San Angelo, Jan.2004.

                                            LaVerne and Newell's three children:

                                             1.  Carolyn Jean CARROLL,

                                                   b: Oct. 6, 1938, San Angelo, TX

                                                    m:  June 16, 1955, San Angelo, TX

                                                         sp: Ronald Dean McGAUGHEY

                                                          b: Feb. 10, 1936, San Angelo, TX

                                                     Carolyn & Ronald's three children:

                                                        1.  Mark Dean McGAUGHEY

                                                             b: Aug. 22, 1956, San Angelo, TX

                                                        2.  Linda Lee McGAUGHEY

                                                              b: Dec. 20, 1957, San Angelo, TX

                                                        3.  Denise Renee McGAUGHEY

                                                              b: Aug. 28, 1959, San Angelo, TX  

                                             2.  Richard Edward CARROLL

                                                   b: Feb. 11, 1941, San Angelo, TX

                                                   m: abt. 1963 to Dana Terry; in Sanderson, TX

                                                         Richard & Dana had two children:

                                                         1.  Sherry Lynn Carroll

                                                              b:  June 13, 1964, San Angelo, TX

                                                              m:  Jan. 6, 1988, in San Angelo, TX

                                                                   sp:  Charles "Chip" Fields; b:  Sept. 19, 1960

                                                                   Chip and Sherry have two children:

                                                                    1.  Taylor Fields, b: Nov. 14, 1992

                                                                    2.  Reid Fields,   b: July 17, 1994

                                                           2.  Gary Glenn Carroll

                                                                 b:  Sept. 7, 1965, in San Angelo, TX

                                                                 m:  1993, Dallas, Texas

                                                                       sp:  Marianne

                                                                       Gary and Marianne had 1 child:

                                                                        1.  Marissa Carroll, b:  1997

                                                   Richard & Dana divorced ca.1975, San Angelo,TX                            

                                                   d:  Nov. 11, 1995, Harris County, Houston, TX

                                                   Buried:  Brookshire, TX.                                                               

                                             3.  Elton Bland CARROLL

                                                   b:  Aug. 3, 1942, San Angelo, TX

                                                   d:  Mar. 8, 2003, San Angelo, TX

                                                   Buried:  Lawnhaven Cemetery, San Angelo, TX

                                    2.  Edward Lester BAER, Jr.

                                             b: Oct. 3, 1916, Chicago, Ill.

                                             m:  sp#1, abt.1941; Houston, TX

                                                  to:  Inez  _______, d: 1976, Houston, TX

                                             m:  sp#2,  abt. 1978; unknown city;

                                                  to:  Dorothy __________;

                                                 Edward never had children.  He and Dorothy are

                                                 living in San Angelo, Texas in Jan. 2004.

                                    3.  Olive Beverly BAER

                                               b:  ____________, 1919, Chicago, Ill.

                                                m:  March, 1937, San Angelo, TX

                                                sp:  Jimmy Jenkins; b:  Bronte, TX

                                                Olive died abt. 1939; 1 boy child, died 1939 in Ark.

                                                Buried:  Harrison, Ark. [source: death cert.]

                                    4.  Richard William BAER

                                               b:  Sept. 6, 1920, San Angelo, Texas

                                               m:  sp:#1 - Margey Young; 1 child: Darlyne BAER

                                               m: sp#2 - Alice STORK;

                                                    Richard & Alice's three children:

                                                        1. Debbie

                                                         2. Patricia

                                                         3. Theresa

                                                m: sp#3 - Eva Overstreet; No child. Eva died 1999;


"The Harmonica Man" passed away in his sleep, 26 January 2006.  He was 85 years young, and loved to be with people of all ages.  Richard said he learned to play the harmonica when he was about 10 years of age.   He said he and his older brother, Edward, taught themselves how to play. Richard especially loved to play his harmonica to the little school children and at his church.  He was invited by several teachers to come play for their classrooms, especially during the holiday season.   Also, several nurses and doctors would invite Richard to come to their Christmas parties and play for them. At different restaurants, he could always draw a crowd with his music.  Several people tried to tip him, but he would never take anything.  He just loved to play to anyone who would listen.  On his 80th birthday, Richard was featured on the front page of the local newspaper, as "Mr. Harmonica Man" and the name stuck with him from then on. Richard served his country during World War II (1940-1944 with the Navy) serving around Sicily and Italy helping move prisoners of war to different locations.  He was discharged with honors. Richard worked over 40 years for the City of San Angelo, and 20 years as the Head of the Electrical Inspection Dept.  He retired from the City about 1987.  Survivors are four daughters:  Darlyne Morales of San Antonio, TX, Debbie Goins of Morgan Hill, CA, Patricia Kelsey of Ballston Spa, NY; and Teresa Barnett of Abilene, TX; a sister, LaVerne Baer Carroll, and a brother, Edward Lester Baer, both of San Angelo; a niece:  Carolyn Carroll McGaughey of San Angelo; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.


                  4.  Mildred Genevieve BAER

                       b:  May 6, 1898, Chicago, Ill.

                       m: Oct. 30, 1916, Chicago, Ill.

                            to:  Henry William KOELLE

                            Mildred and Henry had only one child:

                                 1.  Kenneth KOELLE, born: 1914;

                                      Kenneth became a Chicago policeman.

                       d: Mildred died _______abt. 1924, of T.B., San Angelo, TX.

                           Henry took her body by RR to Chicago for burial.


Booger Red Privett - You may ask, "where did you get that name?"  Well, here's the story:  Booger Red is a definite Texas thing and usually has to do with having red hair and being tough and ugly.  Samuel Thomas Privett (1858-1926) applied his Bronc-Busting skills to performing in his own touring wild west show and achieving championship fame in rodeos and world fairs. He made breaking horses his business.  Privett became one of the most legendary rodeo performers in Texas, once having 86 bronco rides in one day. He would advertise his shows by saying “Come and see him ride! The ugliest cowboy dead or alive!” Privett would pay anyone $100 who could bring a horse he couldn’t ride. No one ever collected.


Booger was born on a ranch near Dublin, Erath County, Texas, on December 29, 1858 and as a youth seemed to possess all the vim, vigor, and vitality that makes the red-head outstanding. At the age of 10 he began riding wild calves on his father's ranch and by the time he was 12 years of age he was widely known as the Red-Headed Kid Bronc-Rider and was already on the road to fame. He was the youngest of a large family and was always trying to imitate some stunt of his older brothers. In attempting to make his own fireworks on his 13th Christmas as he had seen others do, he and a pal crammed a lot of gun powder into a hole bored into an old tree stump and when it exploded it killed his friend and blew him about twenty feet. His face was hopelessly burned and for six months he did not see daylight. His eyes were cut open three times and his mouth and nose twice. As he was being carried to the hospital in a farm wagon, a small boy friend hopped on the side of the wagon, looked over at Red and thoughtlessly remarked, 'Gee, but Red is sure a booger now, ain't he?' Thus, the famous "Booger Red" nickname which went with him to his grave. His parents died when he was 15 years old and he started out in the world to make his own way at the job which he loved most, that of breaking wild horses. None were too bad for him to tackle and he made a name for himself in a country where there were plenty of bronc scratchers. By the time he was grown he had saved enough to buy and stock a small ranch near Sabinal, Texas, but he soon sold that and purchased the wagon yard in San Angelo, Texas. He married Mollie Webb at the little west Texas town of Bronte, in 1895. She and their six children who became famous in show life were great assets to the show business which he established later. He died of Bright's disease at Miami, Oklahoma, in 1924.


Booger Red's last performance was at the Fat Stock Show at Fort Worth in 1924 just a short time before he died. He had retired and went to Fort Worth just to see the show. To keep from being recognized he wore a cap instead of his big white hat, and low quarters instead of boots and slipped in on the top seat of the grandstand. He was enjoying the performances when trouble arose in the arena with an outlaw horse. The rider was thrown and the crowd yelled, “Give us Booger Red.”  He sat as still as a mouse until an old lady at his elbow recognized him and shrieked, “Here he is!”  The crowd went wild and would not be put off. He made his way calmly down through the audience until he reached the bottom step where he was hoisted on the shoulders of the cheering throng and carried to the arena. He rode the old horse to a finish and many said it was the prettiest riding they ever saw. He was at that time probably the oldest man on record to make such a ride.


Ad found in the Standard Times, June 17, 1899:

"HORSES BROKEN"  Horses broken perfectly gentle both to mules (?) or drive, single or double.  Am fixed to handle horses here or will go to ranches and do the work.  Guarented satisfaction or no pay.  For terms write S.T. Previtt, San Angelo, Texas.


Booger Red is the namesake of the Booger Red’s Saloon in Fort Worth where their motto is “Red on the Head, Ugly as a Booger.”




Carolyn:  “The Booger Red Saloon in Fort Worth only uses the name, but our kin did perform many times at the Fort Worth rodeo and so did his children. He was my great uncle and Sherry's great-great uncle [on our grandmother's side of family. Allie Dora [Webb] Carroll, married about 1901 to Newell Wm. Carroll, Sr.- They had three children: Verne, born 1903, Newell Wm., Jr., born 1909; and Claude, born abt. 1912 and died of whooping cough at 6 mos. Allie Dora Webb Carroll divorced Mr. Newell Wm. Carroll, Sr., in 1914, because of his drinking. Allie Dora Carroll moved back home with her mother who was living in Paducah, Texas, Sallie Ann Webb. In 1916, Dora Carroll married a Mr. George Wm. Goodwin, and they had two children, a son, Wesley, and a daughter, Lucille. Wesley died at age 6, probably from a burst appendix. Mr. Goodwin never got over his son's death. At Christmas of 1922, George Goodwin said he was going to take a train from his farm near Abernathy, Texas, to Plainview, Texas; and he said he was going to buy some Christmas gifts for their children. He never was heard from again. Dora's son Newell Carroll, Jr. took Mr. Goodwin to the train station in the wagon and Mr. Goodwin told Newell to drive the horses back to the farm really slow. Newell was about 12 years of age, and he felt like his step-dad was leaving them and never would return, because he knew they fought alot. Also, Newell knew his step-dad was grieving over the loss of his son, Wesley. Later on [not sure of date, but around 1926, Dora Goodwin moved her family to San Angelo, Texas. Her brothers were working on the railroad there and her mother had moved there also. They bought a home at 330 E. 12th Street. Dora never married again, and she got a job as a presser at the Model Laundry in San Angelo. She was raised in the Primitive Baptist church as a child and played the organ for the church in Bronte as a teenager. Later in life, Dora rededicated her life to the Lord and asked to be baptized into the Baptist Temple Church of San Angelo, under Rev. A. V. Henderson, pastor. She died at age 79 in April, 1965, and is buried at Lawnhaven Memorial Gardens, San Angelo, Texas.”


LaVerne, 1936


Carolyn:  LaVerne "was born at home premature at about 3 lbs. in 1914 in Chicago.  Her grandmother knew how to make a homemade incubator with hot water bottles and she blew whiskey breathe into mother's mouth and nose everytime she stopped breathing.   The Drs. today have told Mother that she owes her life to Grandmother Minnie Baer.  Most babies died when they were born that small in that era, even if they were born in a hospital.   Just think that she has lived to be 90 years of age now!   She always ate three balanced meals per day, made sure she got 8 hours sleep each night [when possible], never smoked or drank or took many Rxs.   She has a very high pain tolerance, and does not like to take much medicine.   She never cussed or said negative things, and whenever she heard gossip about a person, she always would say something positive about that person and never told anything bad about a person.   Several people over the years, have said that Mother is like an angel, so sweet and caring and loving.  A few have said that she should have been a pastor's wife too."



Newell Carroll, 1936                                                                                Newell Carroll



Newell William Carroll married LaVerne Baer on March 6, 1937, in the First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo, Texas. They had three children: Carolyn born Oct. 6, 1938, Richard Edward Carroll born Feb. 11, 1941; and Elton Bland Carroll, born Aug. 3, 1942; all born in San Angelo, Texas.



Newell and LaVerne                                                        Elton and Richard Carroll


Richard (l) was Party Chief for Crew #1 at SK Engineering


Richard Edward Carroll:

Died 11 Nov. 1995 in Houston

Born 11 Feb. 1941 in San Angelo

Graduate of Sanderson High School

Member of Baptist Temple, San Angelo

Member of Sanderson Masonic Lodge #988, A.F. & A.M.

Attended Sull Ross College

Married Wanda Faye Sellers on 21 April 1975 in Carlsbad, Texas


Carolyn:  “Elton and his girlfriend, Darleen McDonald Wright, of Sanderson.  Also, another good friend, Mary Duncan Hooks, is in a couple of the photos with Elton on their Senior Trip. The other fellow, Johnny Eaker, was a good friend of our family and he also lived with Daddy and Mother when his parents were transferred with the railroad.  It was their Senior year, 1960, and also another Senior, John Massie, stayed with them all at the ranch until they graduated.  I don't remember how long they lived together but it was several months!!!  I don't know how Mother even cooked for all of them!!!  I hope they each did their own laundry!!!  But, you know it was a fun time for all, and they never complained!!!    Cousin Pat had already graduated and left for San Angelo by that time.”



                                    Elton and Darleen, 1960 Senior Prom                              Richard and Darlene Wright (left),1961 Sul Ross Dance


Elton and Mary Hooks


Darleen:  “The picture of me with Richard was taken at Sul Ross. We went to the dance as friends, not sweethearts. (But I never told Elton I went with Richard that one time because I was afraid it would hurt Elton. I'm sure he found out anyway, but he never said that he did.) With us in that picture is my brother, Roland, and my good college friend K.B. (who later married Butch Stavely). In the picture from our senior trip, Elton & I and Mary & her boyfriend, John Eaker, had matching shirts. Ours were red and Mary and Johnny's were light blue. (Did Elton ever tell you that he and I got to pose in our matching shirts in front of our hotel? It was for postcards and brochures. We later got copies of the brochures in the mail.)”


Carolyn Jean Carroll married Ronald Dean McGaughey on June 16, 1955, in San Angelo, Texas. They had three children, all born in San Angelo, TX.  Mark Dean born August 22, 1956; Linda Lee born Dec. 20, 1957; and Denise Renee born Aug. 28, 1959.


Our Grandmother, Dora [Webb] Carroll, Goodwin was a sister to Mary Frances "Mollie" [Webb] who married Samuel Thomas "Booger Red" Privett, in 1895 in Bronte, Texas.


Laverne, Elton, Dora Goodwin, Newell (October 1959)


Carolyn:  “Edward Jefferson [Bud] WEBB lived on the north side of the Colorado River, near the town of Bronte [35 miles north of San Angelo],  Texas.    Bud was our great, great grandfather, who came to Texas with two of his brothers:  Albert Hiram [A.H.]WEBB, who lived on a ranch south of  the Colorado River near the town of Colorado City, Texas, and a brother, Thomas Jones [Jones] WEBB, who lived on a ranch south of the Colorado River near Bronte.


There were five Webb brothers who were born and grew up in Giles County, Tennessee.   Their names were Albert Hiram [A.H.] Webb, Thomas Jones [Jones] Webb, Louis Webb, William Webb, and Edward Jefferson [Bud] Webb.   Only four WEBB brothers were actually were in the Civil War in the 1860's.  Our, Bud was too young to go to war, and maybe because there were four other brothers in the war, they did not call him to go fight.  Two brothers died in the Civil War, Louis and William. Thomas Jones (TJ), Hiram, and Louis, and William, Edward J's (Bud) brothers all went into the Confederate Army. Jones, Hiram, and Louis were in the 32nd Tennessee Infantry. William enlisted in the 6th Tennessee Cavalry.


So far as I have been able to determine, EJ managed to avoid military service. Which in itself was remarkable since toward the end of the war he was old enough to serve and the Confederacy had mandatory conscription by 1863. I have a suspicion that he was in Lauderdale County by that time, which was under nominal Union control.


This idea is supported by the fact that Giles County, TN was in a war zone by this time, with several serious skirmishes fought in and around Pulaski, Bradshaw Station, and Lynnville. Giles County was also the main axis of Hood's advance into TN during his winter campaign of 1864. By 1864 the whole area of middle Tennessee was pretty well depopulated and destroyed, having been under Union occupation for about two years.


Jones and Hiram survived the war. Jones was wounded at the Battle of Chickamauga and had his foot amputated. He is cited for valor during this battle in the Offical Records of the War of the Rebellion by his Regimental Commander in that officer's report of the battle. Hiram's CSA record is incomplete, so about all I know is that he had yellow fever, was hospitalized and applied for leave which was denied.


Both TJ and AH applied for and received a CSA pension from the State of Texas after the war. I have obtained copies of their application files from the State Archives.


Louis and William did not survive the war. Louis was killed during the Atlanta Campaign at the Battle of Ezra Church. I have been unable to find anything conclusive on William yet, because the records on the 6th TN Cav are also incomplete.


William Abner Sumners, and his bro. John M. Sumners were with the Webb brothers when they all joined up for the Civil War in their home in Giles Co., Tenn in the 1860's.   They were all in the 32nd Tennessee Infantry, Company F, and they were all wounded on Sept. 19, 1863 at the Battle of Chickamauga [sp?].


When Confederate General Braxton Bragg began his retreat from Tennessee in the summer of 1863, the 32nd Tennessee moved toward Chattanooga and on the 2nd of September was at Lafayette, Georgia. From there the 32nd Tennessee moved to Chickamauga, Georgia, on the 18th of September and the next day was engaged in the two day Battle of Chickamauga. The 32nd Tennessee fought as the center regiment of Brown's Brigade. The regiment had 900 men and officers when the battle began. Some reports indicate that only 361 men were able for duty. The 2nd Tennessee suffered more than 165 casualties, killed and wounded. One company lost 19 out of a total of 23. General John C. Brown was wounded on the 2nd day of the battle.”


The Thursday morning, October 8, 1863, edition of the CHATTANOOGA DAILY REBEL reported these Giles County casualties:


Company F:  (wounded)

Serg't T J Webb, severely in ankle and amputated.

D S Webb, slightly in thigh.

A H Webb, slightly in foot.


Carolyn:  “The family story is told that the Webb brothers and the Sumners brothers knew each other, and that when the Sumners were wounded, the two Webb brothers carried the two Sumners brothers off the battle field and to some medical help, as a couple of them lost a foot or leg???  Both Sumners brothers had made an application for a pension.”


Jerry Sumners:  “My gr. grandfather mentioned them in his application for his Confederate pension. The Confederate pension were tough to get and you had to prove that you were in the war. It took Gr grandad three tries to get his. On his application that was approved in 1903, he mentioned that he served with the Webb brothers and that they were living in Texas. He also mentioned in his application that he took a grape shot to the arm and was carried off the battlefield by one of the Webb brothers.”


Carolyn:  “The Webbs were from the area of Pulaski, Giles County, Tenn.   Their father was William and their mother was Mariah Webb.  I am pretty sure the whole family is listed on the Giles Co., Tenn Fed. Census of 1850  [and ?] 1860.  I will look them up in 1870 and I know they are on the Texas Fed. Census in Texas..........maybe Williamson Co., TX.?


They were in the battle at Fort Donaldson, Tenn., and they surrendered to General Grant.   They also were in the battle of Vicksburg, in Mississippi, in Co. A, then they regrouped at Jackson, Mississippi, and formed Co. F, were sent to Knoxville, Tenn, and on to the Battle of Chickmauga, Tenn.  


I have our kinfolk listed in the San Angelo Standard-Times in 1884, an article states that A. H. [Albert Hiram] Webb of Round Rock, Texas [Williamson County] had a large herd of cattle just north of San Angelo, and he was buying up fencing to corral the cattle.  These men came after the war to Texas and settled in this area [West Texas].....all of them owned cattle and land in the 1870's and 1880's.


Our was a younger brother [Edward Jefferson Webb] to Albert Hiram and Thomas Jones Webb.


My dad, Newell Wm. Carroll always told us the story about his grandfather, Edward Jefferson Webb and his two or three older brothers coming from Giles Co., Tenn.


Carolyn:  "Remember Grandmother's aunt Dorothy Hansen? She came to visit us right after we had the church over on the corner of Chadbourne and 4th Street. She always wore a wig and hat and sunglasses when out in public. She was short and cute. Well, she had been in a nursing home in Chicago for many years and had broken her hip, but was doing some better, just wearing out.  She passed away last week at age 91 years old. A sweet lady. We will miss her! She was Grandmother's mother's youngest sister. In fact, when Gr.Mother's dad passed away here in San Angelo, the mother took the four little children (about ages 9, 7, 5 & 3) back to Chicago to live with Aunt Dorothy and they both worked and took turns staying with the children. But the mother was frail and caught the flu. Because of her faith in the Christian Science faith, she would not take any medicine and so she got worse and worse and died in her sleep with her oldest child sleeping with her (LaVerne). They were renting a house from Uncle John Baer and he lived near them and LaVerne ran over to tell him her mother was dead. How horrible for her to wake up and find her that way! That was in 1926, when Grandmother Wilhelminia Baer came on the train to Chicago and took the four little children back to Texas to raise herself. These children were her son's (Edward Lester Baer, Sr.), and he had died about two years earlier of T.B."


Carolyn:  "I only had one grandmother and I loved her very much.   She tried to spoil us even tho she had very little money to spend on us, she made only [you will not believe this!]  $68.00 per month from her S.S. check after all those hard working days of ironing for a large commercial laundry.   She did not have airconditioning only fans blowing while she worked.   Her house was paid for, but she did not have an indoor toilet until about 1945, after the war.   We all bathed in a large tin tub.  She would heat up the water on the stove [it was gas] and pour it into the tub and add cold water until it was just the right temperature.   She would let us kids bathe first, then after we washed off, she would take a bath.   She always smelled good, but I don't remember what she put on.   Some kind of powder and a cologne.   This was our Saturday night bath and the next day, we would go to church with her at a fundamental Baptist church where she got saved at age 54.    She read her Bible every day and read it through in one year several times.   We have her Bible and it has her thumb prints at the bottom of each page.   When we went to bed on Saturday night, she turned out all the lights and turned on the radio and we laid in bed listening to 'The Grand Ole Opera' with Minnie Pearl and all the other singers who were famous!   Most of the songs they sung were the good old hymns, and I am so thankful for her listening to that type of music, because they are all in my memory.   I know almost every song in the Baptist Hymnal because of my Nanny!   She loved music and she sung along with them.  When she was a teenager, she told us that she played the pump organ in her church [a Baptist church in Bronte, Texas].  She was the best granny in the whole world and she always had some spending money for us kids.   A pop bottle [Orange Crush or Nu-Grape---ever hear of them?] only cost 5cents.   We always got one when she went to the store!  She planted a large garden every year and had the best okra, corn, tomatoes, green beans, onions, and cantelope and watermelons!!   She would work in the garden each evening and cut down the weeds.   She told Elton, Buddy and me to not point at the cantelope or watermelon, or else they would rot on the vines.   So, as she walked in the rows looking over her melons, all three of us kids would point at every one of those melons!!!   Ha  Ha  In the summertime, there might come some storm clouds and when it thundered,  my Nanny would say, 'That's the devil riding in his chariot.'   We loved our Nanny and she loved us!"




Dana Coleman


Sherry and Gary



Back Home